IIM Amritsar Personal Interview ExperiencesAnisha Mukhija
Note: This page will be updated regularly as and when we receive IIM Amritsar Personal Interview Experiences directly from students and trusted sources
Click here to start your CATKing GDPI Courses with SP Jain, NMIMS Alumni
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 1
2 Panelists (P1–>m, P2 – – >f)
Interview started right on time at 4:20pm
P1: Tell me something about yourself
P1: What do you mean by data governance (I mentioned it as part of my work ex)
P1: Asked more questions related to it, like how policies would affect the overall framework, used case for it being effectively used, what is GDPR, where it is used etc.
P1: Why MBA in business Analytics(I mentioned it as my first preference in the application form)
P1: What are the key skills needed to succeed in this field.(forgot to mention about most integral skill – – >statistics)
P1: Programing languages known
P1: 12th Mathematics related questions
(what is maxima, minima, difference between local maxima and global maxima etc)
Me: Answered some basics which I could recollect.
Handed over to P2
More of HR questions:
P2: Have you ever faced failure in life and how did you overcame it:
Me: Mentioned 2 true stories.
P2: What have you done from your side to increase your business knowledge( I mentioned couple of times in my interview that I want to gain business acumen from the course)
Me: I try to keep up with business news via newspapers
P2: What is the latest you have read.
Me: I mentioned about Future group vs Reliance conflict.
P2: Explain the conflict.
P2: Can you please show us the certificates of extra-curricular mentioned in the resume.
Me: showed the physical copies (Took 3-4 mins to search those out but they were patient during that time)
P2: Thanks for your time. You can leave the meeting.
Overall: It was a good learning experience. The panelist also explained me few things which I missed during my answers. They made me feel relaxed and comfortable.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 2
Accounts and Finance fresher
2 panelists both Male
1. Tell me about yourself
2. As I mentioned about team work… state one incident of team work
3. Tell me about your subjects
4. Tell your opinion about budget on the personal finance front
5. Economic conditions during the pandemic
6. How did government manage the pandemic
7. 2 portfolio ministers of Maharashtra except the CM
8. Why mba general as I can see your inclination towards finance so you could take a specialised finance course
9. Why not mba hr as second choice…why mba business analytics
10. As you’re good in academics do a pg and phd and become a professor…why mba
As I spoke the other panelist was like you want to make your future bright and not others…is it like that
11. Who is your favourite teacher
Overall a very chill interview… both the panelists were smiling and laughing throughout
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 3
P1 and P2 (both female in mid 30s)
Q:You have a job and you are doing well so why MBA?
Q:Discussion on quantum computing, privacy, facebook current news, whatsapp data policy, how is data secured.
What is your take on privacy now a days, more discussion on Australlian govt.’s new law for google and facebook.
Q:Difference between cloud and server. Please explain what is cloud.
Q:what other calls do you have?
Q:Tell me when did Jharkhand become a state( since I am from Jharkhand).
Q:Tell us about Jharkhand
Q:what do you know about Amritsar and Punjab.
Q:what do you like to do in your free time ?
Q:Do u have any questions for us?
Okay thankyou have a nice day.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 4
19 months workex(Infosys+TCS)
1. Tell me about your self
2. What is special about Lucknow
3. 5 monuments
4. Plan a one day trip
5. What is factors effecting the planed trip
6. What is meant by tehjeeb and name some nawabs
7. What is your role in TCS
8. What you serve to your clients
9. What is meant by machine learning and type of machine learning
10. Give two examples for supervised and unsupervised learning
11. What is industrial 4.0 ,what is business 4.0
12. What are new products from TCS
13. What are you extra curricular skillls
14. What is Indian reform ?what is GDPR?
15. Full form of GDPR
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 5
GEM 98.45 ECE 20 months Workex as Product Manager.
Q1. Tell me something about Yourself?
Q2. Tell us more about your Job Role?
Q3. Tell us how IP Camera is different from Web Cameras?
Q4. Do you do front Ending with sales or at the Back End?
Q5. Any extracurricular Activites during College and School?
Q6. Any news that you are following recently?
Told about Australia vs Google news.
Q7. What’s your opinion on it?
Told Australian Government is right and if many more countries come with such steps. Google cannot come up with threats like they would leave their countries.
Q8. Why MBA
Q9. Do you think it is a best time to do an MBA and quit your Job?
Said in Today’s hindu there was a headline that 45 years with comorbid conditions will be vaccinated from 1st March. Apart from it Johnson and Johnson Vaccine has been declared 86 percent effective and there is a V shape recovery so by the time I graduate i.e in 2023 things would be under control.
Q10. Name different schemes that are taken by govt
1. ATMA Nirbhar Swastha Bharat abhyan
2. Atma Nirbhar Bharat. Made in India
3. Ujwalla yojna.
4. Western Economic and eastern Economic Freight corridor. Stopped me and said that is okay.
Q11. Do you have any questions for us?
End lasted about 15 minutes.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 6
Two panelist: M and F
1. F: So Tell me about yourself
– Told the practiced one
2. M: So What is Data Science? You have filled for Data Science na.
– No Sir regular PGP only
3. M: Ok then also what do know about Data Science
– Sir 150 years back oil was called black gold, same is true for Data today. Any firm which has more data today can make influence. Data science is something to analyse and interpret available data in my opinion.
4. M: Do you know what is Industry 4.0?
– Sir Industrial revolution started in 17 th century in Britain and we have come along way today to Industrial Revolution 4.0. Here most of the facility in industries are digitised to make things more eco and user frindly.
5. M: So Industry 4.0 is all about enhancing GUI( Graphical User Interface)
– Sir GUI might form a chunk of it but its not all abt it. Industry 4.0 also aims to reduce digital divide and make services available to both who are at cities and who are extreme locations.
6. M: So why do you want to do an MBA?
– Sir I want to work for diversified areas and grow up to some eminent positions
7. M: You already have 3years work ex and within a year you will rise to significant leadership roles, why need to go for MBA
– Sir its true, but currently I am working at the grassroot level of oil field and its a very niche field. I want to work for more diverse industries and experience them.
8. M: But you will again hop on to different company after two years and keep on doing that
– No sir, I come today to this decision after analysing my work area thoroughly within these years.
9. M: I will return later, Mam want to ask something
10. F: Ok Do you know what standard deviation is
– Mam I dont know much but its the measure of how much a set of data deviates from its mean
11. F: Ok Now tell me What will be the probability of getting atleast two heads when we toss four coins together. Basic twelth class Mathematics
– Mam, I can get that it will be 2/8 or 1/4 probability of getting two heads .
12. F: But I told atleast what about other cases
– Oh Sorry mam, I cannot formulate the cases at present but it would definitely be more than 1/4.
13. M: Okk where are you posted at present ?
– I am at Rajahmundry in AP at present
14. M: Okk then can you guess the no of cricket balls would be required by Rajahmundry in a month. Take your time and come at a number and tell me how you reached that no.
– (Took some time) Sir I am not at the city but at some remote location, if I guess there would atleast five to six sports complex in the city and if we take the survey of those complexes about their usage and extrapolate those numbers to other local people who play cricket then we can guess a number
15. M: Tell me a number
– Sir I guess around 1500 to 2000 per month
16. M: How you came to that number like what assumptions you supposed
– Sir I supposed that a sports complex might require 50 balls per day
17. M: 50 balls per day!
– Oh sorry sir 5 balls per day
18. M: So you are talking abt leather ball or tennis ball
– Sir leather ball for sports complexes and tennis one for local cricket.
19. M: What is the full form of CAA
– Sir its Citizen Amendment Act
20. M: What does it say?
– Sir its an Amendment Act which says that people belonging to six religions who in minorities in neighbouring countries can settle in India more conveniently after following certain procedures.
21. M: Okk Why it is that the oil production from Cauvery Basin is intermittent but it is good and stable from KG Basin
– Sir first thing is that the formation in southern Indian is very difficult to drill. Second is that land acquisition is comparatively difficult in Tamil Nadu for drilling as compared to AP. Also Kakinada which is near to KG Basin can prove to be Next Mumbai High and the development is going on.
22. M: What is the future of Shale Gas in India?
– Sir Shale Gas is great but it requires huge money and infrastructure. Right now it is difficult to drill Shale Formation in India because of lack of infrastructure.
23. M: What would be the break even cost of Shale Gas in market?
– Sir thats a very difficult question for me to answer. At present it costs us around $30 per barrel to drill and we sell at around 49$. But if I want to guess break even point for Shale Gas then I would go for around 60$.
24. M: Ok thats from our side. Please show us your CAT admit card.
– Sorry sir it was not mentioned in any mail to keep admit card. I have only Adhar Card and other documents with me at present
25. F: Ok no problem its just a formality. It was nice talking to you. You may now leave the call
– It was pleasure Mam. Thank You
Overall I felt the interview was stressfull. The faculty didn’t smile throughout the process except at the end of the interview. The probability question went bad and my approach was totaly wrong. The guesstimate also I think did not go well. Other than that I tried to answer well. It was a long interview (more than half an hour) and in the middle I felt that I am the only candidate today for them( they had total 10 people in second half).
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 7
B TECH ELECTRICAL FRESHER
1. Introduce yourself
2. Tour academic as well as non academic achievements.
3. No technical questions on graduation.
4. Why MBA ?
5. Why MBA right after your graduation why don’t you go for work ex first?
6. What are the different forms of art. (I told themselves in introduction that i draw sketches and paintings. They even asked that show your paintings)
7. Questions on graphs. Draw graph of y= x^2 and y= x^3 – x
8. Tricky Questions on Statistics ( take your time to solve these questions)
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 8
10th March 2021
Panelists – 1 M and 1 F (both in mid 30s)
2 years of work ex in Doordarshan and a Digital marketing agency
1. Introduce yourself
2. You worked as a Production Manager in Doordarshan, what is the difference between a Production Manager of a broadcasting industry and a manufacturing industry.
3. What are the OTT platforms?
4. How would you market the OTT shows?
5. What is SEO?
6. Give me an example where you want to do paid promotion and non paid promotion?
7. Who heads Lok Sabha? Who is currently heading Lok Sabha? (Tried to confuse me with Rajya Sabha)
8. Who are Cabinet Ministers? How many female Cabinet Ministers are there in India? Name 5 of them.
9. Name 5 indian companies that come under Forbes 500 list.
10. What is happening in the retail sector? (Asked me about the tussle between Reliance and Amazon)
11. Do you have any National level achievement in sports?
12. Do you have any questions for us?
Thank you so much, you may log off now.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 9
22/03/21 Two panelists 1M, 1F
M: hi show your cat score card please
M: okay so tell me about yourself
M: so what do you do at office do you code lead team exactly what
M: so what exactly is an accelerator
M: you have an interesting job
Me: yes sir.
M: ma’am would you like to take over?
F : so what does your name mean?
F : interesting, so tell me something about Bengal election
F : what’s special in it
Me : told about part manifesto and all
F: why is nandigram important for this election
F: why is it famous
F: what is big O
F: what is the difference between insertion and bubble sort
F: what do you read in paper
Me: told some latest stuff
F: tell something about your extra curricular activities
F: why government wants to ban cryptocurrency
Me : told
F: I’m good , sir anything else
M: yes, which other IIM calls you have
Me : told
M: whom are you planning to vote?
Me: I’ve decided but can’t say! Will do it on 10th.
M: oh yours is on 10th?
Me: yes sir.
M: okay thanks it was great talking to you thanks.
Me: thank you both.
Very chilled out interview, no cross question. Around 12mins
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 10
2 Panelists (1M 1F) Very chilled
Physics background (BS-MS)
F So Ashish tell me about your strengths and weaknesses
Said 3 strengths and 2 weakness
(She joked, so ashish has less weaknesses and more strengths)
F You mentioned research work.. waht was that
M what was the journal
F tell me some instances where you showed your strengths
M So Ashish tell me some key differences you noticed btwn Kerala(college) and Bihar (home town)
M So have you noticed any female wearing burkha in Kerala and Bihar:
( he said kerala governor has stated that here all cultures use similar dressing style)
[M so you have work ex.. tell me about that
Said i don’t have any
M so you did some project on energy and conservation
Said no sir.
I Guess there is some confusion ]
F tell me what you do in free time.
Said a few
F any sports
F tell me name of any international volleyball player
Said Don’t know
F any sports you are interested in
Said not as such
M interested in politics
Said a bit.. not too much
M Chairman of UGC
M what’s UGC
Said fund granting committee.. provides fund to big institutes
M Can I ask about computer
Said we can try
Asked 6 components of computer
MB to GB conversion
But vs byte
M which state recently got tap supply to all cities ( saud i guess indore not sure)
Which country adopted 3 child/couple policy
Which country funded Indian hockey team
F asked no of states
Recent addictions said uttrakhand and Telangana
F what about Ladakh
Said added as UT recently
M Defence Minister
Said can’t recall.. starts with R 😅
F Road and transport Minister
M financie Minister
[Overall Chill experience.. and calm..
Guess GK was not so good ]
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 11
Dt- 20 Feb 2022
They asked if I was well
Then they asked how I liked the online learning that happened the past years (2021 graduate)
They asked a lot of engineers go into further mtech why dont you do so..
They asked why do I not do a job first and gain some work ex
Then the other panelist took over and he asked what states have elections (couldnt say all states)
Asked about budget
Asked about ABG(couldnt answer)
Asked about any other scams (still no)
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 12
IIM AMRITSAR Morning Slot 22-2-22
1. Tell me something about yourself that is not in your CV.
2. Why MBA and this shift from Metallurgy background to MBA.
3. Extra and co- curricular activities and your learnings from it.
4. What is Politics.
5. Gold mines in India.
6. How will you define Indian politics today.
7. First Indian to win Olympic medal in Badminton.
Hardly 8-10 mins interview. Soft grilling on TMAY and Why MBA part.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 13
My PI heavily revolved around my long term goal which I had mentioned as becoming a travel entrepreneur. They asked me how I would set up my business. What all do I need to set up etc. Then follow my questions.
Questions on why marketing? And which company?
Opinion on Diversity and Inclusiveness.
Hobbies and Interests.
Justify your gap year. What activities did you take up apart from studies?
Why your results in first 2 semesters were a bit low? What did you do to improve in later semesters?
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 14
IIM Amritsar interview on 22nd February, 2022
My profile: CAT: 96.18 B.A.(H) English (Final Year)
One female, one male (F1,M1)
M1: TMAY (Finally someone asked this)
M1: Why do you want to do MBA? You should go towards writing.
M1: Do you know about finance, mathematics and statistics?
(I am English Honours student, itna deep mein thodi pata hoga, I said I have basic knowledge.)
M1: Okay then tell about Law of Large Numbers?
(Haven’t even heard of this)
M1: Tell about distribution system, uniform and all?
(Why, why me!!!)
F1: Why marketing?
F1: What is content marketing? Which companies?
F1: Tell about ABG Shipyard?
F1: What is NPA?
F1: What is government doing?
No grilling but why those stats questions!!!!!!
Overall if we take away the stats questions everything was good good. 😊
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 15
24/02/2022 (joining time – 9:30 am)
( no ID check)
Waiting time – less than an hour.
Duration: ~16 minutes.
2 panelists (O, T)
O: How are you? ( replicated) Thanks for asking.
O: Introduce yourself.
O: Tell us something about your district. Any historical relevance?
O: Difference between 1824 & 1857 Sepoy mutiny.
O: Why is your 3rd semester grades low?
( a few follow up questions)
O: Tell an instance where you exhibited leadership qualities.
O: Tell about what’s happening in Ukraine.
O: Hasn’t the war already broken up?
O: Current CEO of Zoom.
O: Who’s the VC of JNU?
O: CEO of Microsoft?
O: Some ship incident in Sweden.
O: What is your hobby? What’s the last book you’ve read? (asked the name of the author of a book he named)
O: OK,I’m now transferring you to my fellow panelist.
T: How are you doing? (replicated)
T: Do you have any work ex or are you a fresher?
T: Which discipline?
T: OK,great! So in your undergrad you’ve learnt about the theoretical aspects. Why are you shifting towards an applied branch?
T: Tell us an application of maths that you can make use of in management. (told very good 🙂 )
(a few follow up questions)
T: What’s your favourite subject and why it interests you?(very good)
T: Do you know about PnC? Illustrate using 2 practical examples. (said very good again)
T: Any projects you did in your final year?
T: What do you do in your free time? (said great)
T: Thank you!
[May I leave sir, T: Yes,you may!]
( T seemed impressed, O was agreeing with my answers)
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 16
Dt- 24 Feb 2022
BTech NIT UK Mechanical Engineering
Experience 1.6 yr L&T and edtech startup
P1 (M 40) P2 ( M 30)
“Tourism in Uttarakhand”
1. Asked about startup
3. Projects done
4. Lot of questions on 3D printing
5. ATL AIC initiative by Gov of India
6.Future of additive manufacturing.
7. Subtractive manufacturing
1. BharatPe controversy
2. Biggest company in terms of value. (Apple)
3. value of apple ( 3 trillion dollar)
4. Value of dollar (75.08)
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 17
#IIM Amritsar Interview Experience – 24/02/2022
1) Introduce yourself.
2) What is low pass filter? Its transfer function?
3) What is meant by differentiation. Differentiation of triangular function.
4) What is integration? Integration of triangular function.
5) How would you explain differentiation and integration to a lay man?
6) Types of transformers? Which transformer is used to distribute power to our houses? What are its specifications?
7) What is an electrical grid? How many grids does India have?
8) What is smart grid and what are it’s features? Does India have a smart grid? What are the other nations which have smart grids?
9) Frequency of power supply in india? Countries having different power frequency and what is the value?
10) Why MBA? Give a genuine answer not a coaching institute one.
11) Why MBA now and not after 2 years of job?
12) What news do you follow? What is the latest news now?
13)You are a gold medalist. You will have a great career in your own domain (electrical). Why don’t you go for MS?
14) What projects have you done? Explain? (Told 2 of them – One was based on sustainable development)
15)Cross question. What is sustainable development? What are its goals? Which body is responsible for working sustainable development in India?
16) What ia your take on Russia-ukraine war? What are the chances of 3rd world war?
Thank you. We are done with your interview. All the best.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 18
IIM AMRITSAR INTERVIEW – 24/02/2022
Engineer-1.5yrs exp IT
mean median mode
properties and their explanations
Why MBA when u already work in Leading technology company
2nd interviewer started
Do you read business news
what is your take in economics today
– crypto related few things(because i mentioned i have little exp in crypto invest)
– income tax slabs
(i told mine and my relaxation)
he said you only keep information related to u
then few questions on leadership
then asked about some person whom i didnt knew
lastly any CEO u admire and why
thnx and regards
hope it helps
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 19
Dt- 25 Feb 2022
Waited 57 minutes before interview
Q) Show me any identity card (didn’t carried any, checked the drawer, Passport was there, so showed that)
Q) Which ministry issues passport
Q) What is written in the first page
Q) what do you mean by republic in republic of India
Q) How many states have you been
Q) Cultural Difference between North and South India
Q) Cultural Difference between Orissa and West Bengal
Q) Different between Hyderabadi biryani and Kolkata Biryani
Q) Other IIM calls
Q) When was B interview ( answered 14th Feb)
They laughed and asked Significance of 14th Feb
Q) How was the interview
Q) How good you are in maths
Q) Taxicab Number ( heard first time)
Q) X^0 ?
Q) How will you prove or explain X^0=1 to a 6 class child
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 20
IIM Amritsar – 25/02/2022
*Asked about my 12 degree as it’s different than others. Told about my college and how it is diffy from other colleges.
*Asked about work and what I do and why MBA from thereon
*Primary key and foreign key differences with example
*Make belief tables and told to write queries and gave multiple scenarios
*Asked about agility and waterflow models of coding. Difference and all
*Closest election wala state from your state and seats.overall seats MLA in all the election wala states
*Why UP election matters
*Should UP be divided in smaller states and consequences and things to keep in mind
*Lastly cat ka score card manga
#i’m a mech engineer working in IT, 2 yrs workex, 98.3 in CAT#
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 21
IIM Amritsar – 25/02/2022
Mechanical Engineer – 27 months experience
P1 – Tell me about yourself.
P1- I have gone through your resume and you are a good technical person. Tell me what skills are you looking for after completing MBA?
P1- Can you state one incident at your workplace which made you think to do an MBA?
P1 – Do you have an idea about what all courses are we providing?
P1 – Which domain you will prefer and why?
P2 – So you are mechanical. Are you able to recall laws of thermodynamics?
P2- Carnot Engine?
P2- How AC works?
P2 – So you are interested in stock market. Do you know about Bollinger bands?
P2 – What type of trading have you done to win zerodha 60 day challenge. Explain some technical indicators.
P2 – Have you heard about RSI?
P2 – What is fibnocii retracement? Levels?
P2- How is fibnocii levels calculated?
P2 – Is there any practical usage for that levels? Why people likes those levels?
It was nice talking to you. You can log off..!
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 22
Started with the meaning of my name
Then about the references i mentioned as one of them was a former advisor of un and unesco
Then about my company and the diff between consulting and real firm
Why do i want to shift from civil engg to mba and not mtech
Then two 11 12 maths questions which i couldnt answer
Then ukraine and russia issue
Then about my father and my role model
Then graduation related questions
Recent election predictions
No grilling. Good panelists. But i messed up in two maths related questions.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 23
Panel 5 (10 mins waiting time)
2 male panelists
Duration 7-8 mins
1. Tell me about yourself (I mentioned content writing)
2. On which genre do you write? How did you get those internships? What was your pay there?
3. How are you in maths?
4. What is variance? Standard deviation? Mode? Binomial distribution
5. Sum of first 100 natural numbers and formula
6. Sum of GP series
7. What other calls do you have and their interview dates?
Only 1 panelist asked questions. Very chill and short interview.
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 24
Dt- 27 Feb 2022
Done with my iim amritsar interview,
2 times my system crashed I don’t know how panelist will perceive it.
Q1. Tell me about yourself
Q2. Why mba
Q3. Types of depreciation
Q4. Accounting principle used for depreciation.
Q5. Formula of integration and differentiation
Q6. Tell me some buisness news
Q7. Causes for global chip shortage
Q8. Do you follow stock market
Q9. Current liability for a manufacturer
Q10. Any questions for us
IIM Amritsar PI Experience 25
Dt- 28 Feb 2022
My IIM Amritsar interview experience-
2 members both male in late 30s
M1- tell me something about yourself
– why mba
– what finance subjects you have learned in UPSC
-why not do job
– why interests you in finance
– share market related questions
-10 companies ranked by market cap
– ceo of TCS and tata group
-your business role model
-what did wareen buffets annual letter said
-Ev companies in india
-Problem for tesla to get in
-which states welcomed him
– do you have any questions