NMAT: New paper PatternAnisha Mukhija
NMAT new Exam Pattern:
The NMIMS Management Aptitude Test (NMAT) by GMAC is the entrance exam for the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies. The main campus of NMIMS is in Mumbai. Other campuses of NMIMS providing a Master’s degree in Management are NMIMS Bengaluru campus, Hyderabad campus, Indore campus, and Navi Mumbai campus. SVKM’s NMIMS is a leader in management education. The goal is to develop socially responsible managers with a global perspective. We will discuss in detail the new exam pattern for the NMAT exam prescribed by GMAC in this post.
NMAT Exam Syllabus
The NMAT exam, some say, is very tough to crack. To ace an exam, one must know exactly what is the NMAT exam pattern. The NMIMS exam is two hours long. It is a computer-based exam. It is split into 3 sections, namely:
- Language Skills,
- Quantitative Skills, and
- Logical Reasoning
The NMAT paper has 120 questions. All the questions are of MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) type. Each question has 5 options. The NMAT Exam Pattern is such that it has three sections that have been allotted a specific time limit. The total time is 120 minutes, i.e., 2 hours. Each section has to be completed in the allotted time. The time remaining from one section is not transferable to other sections. The answers should be reviewed and updated before the time ends.
The candidate is not allowed to switch between sections, but he/she can, however, decide the order of the sections before the commencement of the exam, unlike CAT. The candidate cannot update the answers once he or she moves out of a particular section. The final cut-offs are decided by deciding the cut-off of each section and not the whole paper. The allotment of time for each section is as follows:
|SECTION||NO. OF QUESTIONS||TIME ALLOTTED|
|QUANTITATIVE ABILITY||36||52 minutes|
|LOGICAL REASONING||36||40 minutes|
Also Read: NMAT Exam Difficulty Level
The NMAT Exam Pattern has the following features:
-There is no negative marking
-One mark is awarded for each correct answer
-Zero marks are awarded for each unanswered question
The candidate can answer questions freely without the fear of penalty. The candidates have a 75-day window to appear for the test thrice, including ‘no-shows’ and each attempt has to be at least 15 days apart. The test window for this year is from 4th October 2022 to 27th December 202. This allows them to improve their scores. Each candidate gets a unique but equivalent exam. The order of the questions is not fixed. There is a review screen at the end of each section where the candidates can check the status of all the questions in that particular section – the number of questions answered, flagged, and left unanswered and move directly to any of these to alter the marked option before submitting the answers.
The final scores are all scaled scores to account for the difference in the overall difficulty level of the exam. The NMAT exam is comparative and does not measure self-performance. The percentile rank is provided only after all the students have attempted the exam. It shows the overall position of the participant in comparison to the others. Also, one candidate can register only once and no multiple registrations are allowed for NMAT by GMAC.
Also Read: What is the competition for NMAT?
The exam location, exam date, and time slot can be booked on the NMAT by the GMAC website. At the time of filling out the form. NMAT is conducted in over 18 cities across 27 centers. The NMAT exam does not conduct in any international location. The seats are assigned on a ‘First Come First Serve’ basis. That is why, it is always better to apply for the exam early to have the option available for the preferred exam location, date, and time. The candidate must carry all the essential documents to the NMAT exam center.
Various reputed MBA colleges in India accept NMAT Test Score
Various reputed MBA colleges in India accept the NMAT Test Score. It is an online test conducted at various centers across the country. It provides admissions to
- SDA Bocconi Asia Center
- Alliance University
- Amrut Mody School of Management
- BSE Institute Ltd.
- Amity University
- Thapar School of Management
- SRM University
- Bennett University
- Shiv Nadar University
- Woxsen School of Business Management
- BML Munjal University
- Mody University
- ITM and
- Jindal Global Business School
Then the candidates can select the colleges they want to send their scores. But, after the first 5 colleges, sending the score incurs a registration fee of INR 200. The NMAT exam is comparatively easier than CAT and has many colleges which provide the opportunity for admission.
Also Read: Is it easy to get admission to NMIMS?
NMAT New Exam Pattern
Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) has prescribed the new exam pattern for NMAT 2022 (NMIMS Management Aptitude Test). Before appearing for the exam, candidates must know the NMAT 2022 exam pattern to draw a preparation strategy. With the help of the NMAT exam pattern, 2022 candidates can know the marking scheme, duration of the exam, types of questions, number of questions in each section, and much more.
Furthermore, students can get insight into the exam pattern of NMAT 2020 with the help of mock tests which will be available tentatively in the fourth week of September 2022 on the official website. With the help of a mock test, aspirants will be able to assess their strong and weak points.
NMAT by GMAC is a computer-based examination. Admission to MBA programs of various participating institutes. NMAT will be a computer-based test (CBT). That will be held in a 75 days window from the first week of October till the third week of December 2022.
Exam Pattern: Key Features
- Format: It is an online computer-based test. That consists of 120 MCQ-type questions divided into 3 sections.
- Sectional Order: Candidates can choose their order of sections while taking the exam. This has to be followed in the test once selected.
- Sectional Time Limit: Every section is timed differently. Timings are Language skills (28 min), Quantitative skills (52 min), and Logical reasoning (40 min).
- Marking Scheme: There is no negative marking while every correct response carries +3 marks.
- Multiple Attempts: NMAT Aspirants can take the test 3 times in a given year, thus candidates have the chance to improvise their score.
- NMIMS Mumbai will consider only first-attempt scores.
- Self-Scheduling of test: Candidates can schedule the date, venue, and time of the test at their convenience. This is a unique feature of NMAT.
Subsequently, the paper is based on the lines of CAT and MAT. Candidates can select the section they wish to attempt first as per their preferred choice. The option of revising answers is available only till the allotted sectional time
NMAT Exam Sections:
This section is designed in a manner to test a candidate’s knowledge of English grammar and the comfort level of the candidate with the language.
- 36 questions are required to be completed in 28 minutes.
- The language skills section tests a candidate’s command of the language.
- It also assesses the ability of the candidate in using correct grammar and language skills along with the ability to correct incorrect sentences based on grammar.
- This section usually consists of 2 to 4 reading comprehension based on which the candidates have to respond to the questions that follow.
Candidates in this section are required to solve questions based on mathematics. Fast calculation skills with accuracy are tested in this section.
- NMAT syllabus for Quantitative skills covers four major areas. Namely Quantitative Ability; Data Analysis; Data Sufficiency and Data Interpretation.
- Candidates will get 52 minutes to answer 36 questions.
- This section concerns the candidate’s mental ability and accuracy for mathematical problems.
- It is a scoring section and the questions are particularly designed to test. The candidate’s ability to apply mathematical principles to solve real-time problems.
- It requires the active use of the candidate’s intellect in using mathematical concepts to answer the questions.
- The difficulty level of the section is 10+2 level.
This section is based on an assessment of the critical thinking and decision-making abilities of the candidates. It is typically divided into two sections such as Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning.
- It usually consists of abstract, diagrammatic, or inductive reasoning questions.
- The shape sequences and logical patterns. That uses to test the mental ability of the candidate.
Hence, This was all about the NMAT exam pattern. Aspirants should remain calm and be consistent in preparation to crack NMAT.